PS Audio has announced the introduction of its aspen FR30 loudspeaker, a slim 3-way floorstanding tower that incorporates planar-magnetic and dynamic drivers.
The FR30 incorporates a custom push-pull planar magnetic midrange transducer and dual high-frequency transducers, which feature an identical symmetrical motor structure on either side of their driver diaphragms. This inherently linear configuration provides lower distortion than conventional single-sided magnet structures, along with higher efficiency, according to the company. The midrange and high-frequency drivers employ high-strength N52 neodymium magnets with diaphragms made from Teonex film, a thin, highly stable material that provides exceptional transient response and resolution, with a fast, clean decay. The drivers are housed in a sealed sub-enclosure module, and their performance is optimized by the use of aramid fiber damping material.
The PS Audio apsen FR30 utilizes four 8-inch cast-frame, aluminum-cone woofers with 12-pound magnets. The woofer’s motor structure features a split-magnetic gap and double Faraday rings for improved linearity and wider bandwidth, and the woofers’ articulate, agile response complements the speed and transparency of the planar-magnetic midrange and high-frequency drivers. The woofers are augmented by four 10-inch side-firing passive radiators, for authoritative low-frequency extension. The FR30 features an 87 dB sensitivity, making it ideal for use with a wide range of amplifiers.
The enclosure has a modular design. The midrange/tweeter section contains the acoustically isolated crossover network and the section is removable, enabling ease of shipping and setup. The FR30 offers a visually distinctive “floating” appearance, with a curved bottom and complementing anodized aluminum stand with milled brass acoustic isolation spikes. Hard plastic feet are supplied for use on hard surfaces and to aid in initial speaker placement.
The enclosure is made from braced MDF with a front baffle formed from a dense, rigid, and well-damped fiberglass resin composite material. Integrated high-frequency acoustic waveguides are molded into the baffle to enable optimum horizontal and vertical dispersion and a smooth frequency balance both on- and off-axis.
The PS Audio aspen FR30 loudspeaker will be available in spring 2022 in a choice of Pearl White or Sable Black finishes, at a U.S. manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $28,499 per pair.
aspen FR30 Features at a Glance:
- Enclosure Type: two-piece with sealed upper midrange/tweeter module and lower cabinet for the woofers and passive radiators
- High-Frequency Transducer: 2 x 2.5-inch planar magnetic with Teonex diaphragm
- Mid-Frequency Transducer: 10-inch planar magnetic with Teonex diaphragm
- Passive Radiator: four 10-inch diameter
- Woofer: 4 x 8-inch cast-frame, aluminum-cone with 12 lb. magnet structure
- Frequency Response: 28 Hz – 20 kHz (-6 dB)
- Crossover Frequency: 400 Hz, 2,500 Hz
- Sensitivity: 87 dB
- Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms (3.5 ohms minimum)
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 100 – 600 watts
- Dimensions:5 x 16 x 25.75 inches with base (10 inches wide without base)
- Weight: 230 lbs. (104.5 kg)
For more information, visit https://www.psaudio.com/product-category/aspen/.