PSB Speakers has released the Passif 50 Anniversary Edition standmount loudspeaker in celebration of its 50-year milestone. The design and technologies of the Passif 50 model leverage five decades of dedicated research and pay homage to the early Passif II model first released in 1974. The Passif 50 will be available to pre-order online on August 1 with shipping this September, and it retails at USD $2499. As a show of gratitude for the brand’s devoted fanbase, the first 500 units sold of the Passif 50 will contain a handwritten letter from Paul Barton as well as a QR code with an offer to receive a gift pack that includes a cotton canvas backpack, double-walled water bottle, and commemorative keychain.
In 1974, PSB founder and chief designer Paul Barton developed the Passif II at a time when his initial acoustic research had led to the establishment of PSB’s design philosophy. The Passif II was the first model to incorporate those principals and demonstrate what is now praised as the brand’s signature “True to Nature” sound.
The Passif 50 features 1970s inspired elements like an open-grained walnut veneer cabinet, magnetically attached woven cloth grilles, and dedicated stands. The loudspeaker evokes a sense of nostalgia with its retro details while being constructed with modern materials that align to current tastes. Other unique embellishments include a pull tab on the front grille, which sports the retro PSB logo — originally hand drawn by Paul in his high school geography class — and a rear-panel plaque adorned by a maple leaf with an inscription that reads, “Passif 50 – 1972-2022.”
The titanium dome tweeter employs a neodymium magnet and ferrofluid damping, for higher output, improved power handling, and reduced distortion. A phase plug in front of the tweeter’s dome directs the tweeter’s output to ensure a wide and consistent dispersion. The result is a speaker that creates a wide and deep soundstage with very acute imaging that isn’t reliant on a precise listening position. A felt pad surrounding the tweeter minimizes edge diffraction for improved transparency and more stable imaging.
The woofer and passive radiator have cast aluminum baskets that resist flexing and filleted rubber surrounds that dampen cone resonances, resulting in smoother response and reduced distortion. Considerable engineering effort was invested in refining the interaction between the woofer and the passive radiator.
All joints in the heavily braced enclosure are mitered for improved fit and finish and reduced cabinet vibration. Featuring dual five-way binding posts, the Passif 50 can be bi-wired or bi-amped.
Features and Details:
- 1-inch titanium dome tweeter with ferrofluid damping and neodymium magnet
- 5-inch woofer and 8-inch passive radiator with cast aluminum baskets, paper cones, and filleted rubber surrounds
- Retro-styled open-grained walnut veneer enclosure and dedicated speaker stands
- Magnetically attached woven cloth grilles
- 50th anniversary design touches, including original PSB logo and pull tab on the grille, and rear-panel plaque that reads “Passif 50 – 1972-2022,” adorned by a maple leaf
- Felt surrounding the tweeter minimizes edge diffraction
- Bi-wirable/bi-ampable five-way gold-plated binding posts
- Speaker alone dimensions: 660mm H x 280mm W x 2540mm D (26” x 11” x 10”)
- Speaker with stand dimensions: 870mm H × 280mm W × 254mm D (34” x 11” x 10”)
For more information, visit https://psbspeakers.com.