CEDIA has recognized five exemplary individuals from around the globe for their dedicated volunteer efforts. The annual CEDIA Volunteer of the Year awards are presented to those who have made essential contributions to association programs throughout the preceding year.
The 2023 CEDIA Volunteers of the Year are:
- New Volunteer of the Year – Michael Daly (Australia)
- Volunteer of the Year – Damien Smith (UK)
- Standards Volunteer of the Year – Ben Goff (UK)
- Certification Volunteer of the Year – Dennis Erskine (USA)
- Education Volunteer of the Year – Alan Matthews (UK)
“CEDIA’s 2023 Volunteers of the Year have not only elevated our industry but have also enriched the lives of countless individuals who benefit from the innovations of smart home technology,” says CEDIA global president and CEO Daryl Friedman. “As we extend our gratitude to these extraordinary volunteers, we would also like to recognize the broader community that supports them — the committees, working groups, and CEDIA staff who share in their vision and amplify their impact.”
- Michael Daly, founder of WiredbyMJD, developed his tech fascination at 6, crafting circuits with his grandfather. Awarded for tech prowess in school, he launched Good Vibrations Sound Installations at 18, pioneering customized installs. A family man with a love for music, classic cars, and art, Daly infuses his passions into his work. His tech installations blend modernity and individual style, ensuring each home reflects the latest innovations while maintaining a personal touch.
- Damien Smith began his AV career in 1998 delivering televisions and other products for his local Bang & Olufsen showroom. Since then, Smith has worked on a variety of projects from simple setups to prime residential installations throughout Central London and the Southeast. An advocate for industry education, Smith regularly holds RIBA and BIID accredited CPD training, and previously served on CEDIA’s Industry and Relations Advisory Council.
- Ben Goff divides his time leading the design of Cinema Lusso client projects and providing consultancy to integration firms across the globe. As a CEDIA volunteer, Goff holds the position of vice chair for the R10 standards group. He’s co-chair of the recommended practice for audio measurement & verification (RP32) and has contributed to the development of recommended practices for immersive audio design (RP22), video design (RP23), and performance facts (RP1). He has shared his expertise at CEDIA Expo and ISE Europe, and as a judge for the CEDIA Smart Home Awards.
- Dennis Erskine began his CEDIA journey in 1996 while making significant contributions to technology and aviation. Prior to CEDIA, he excelled as a systems engineer/account manager at Electronic Data Systems Corp and participated in monumental projects with NASA, FEMA, and more. He pioneered commercial electronic mail services at ITT, while later crafting the foundation for Intelligent Networks. His long list of accolades includes multiple CEDIA Smart Home Awards and a transformative chairmanship, uniting CEDIA globally.
- Alan Matthews, an IT industry professional since 1999, founded Automated Spaces in 2016, offering smart home, home cinema, and independent living solutions in Melton Mowbray Leicestershire. Joining CEDIA EMEA’s Workforce Group in 2022, Matthews aimed to address UK labor shortages in the industry. He championed the CEDIA NextGen initiative, presenting to local schools and at CEDIA Tech Summits. Matthews is a CEDIA CIT, IST, ESC-N, and Outreach Instructor, and his company is a CEDIA Member of Excellence.
The Volunteers of the Year will be recognized at the 2023 CEDIA Smart Home Awards ceremonies across the association’s three regions.
For more information about the awards and to register, visit cedia.net/awards.