The Consumer Electronics Association 2014 class of inductees for the CE Hall of Fame include company founders and inventors, industry executives and journalists who promote technology, and the retailers that educate and deliver products to consumers.
This year’s class also includes two teams of individuals, underscoring the collaboration that takes place within the CE industry.
The CE Hall of Fame was founded in 2000 to recognize the leaders in the consumer technology industry who advance innovation and helped shape the course of the industry.
“We are excited to welcome this phenomenal class of industry visionaries into the CE Hall of Fame,” said CEA president and CEO Gary Shapiro. “These individuals inspire us. Their visions have provided innovative products, services and technologies that improve the lives of consumers around the world and helped construct the foundation for the next generation of breakthroughs and innovations. We are honored to pay tribute to them.”
The 2014 inductees are:
• C.W. Conn – founder of Conn’s Inc. electronics and appliance store
• Dr. Levy Gerzberg – co-founder of Zoran Corp.
• Loyd Ivey – founder and CEO of Mitek Electronics and Communications Corp.
• Dr. David Lee – founder of Silicon Image, pioneering work on DVI/HDMI technology
• Cowboy Maloney – founder of Cowboy Maloney’s Electric City
• Gerald McCarthy – former president of Zenith Sales Company
• Walter Mossberg – CE journalist covering the industry for more than four decades
• Tim Westergren – founder of Pandora
• Team: Victor and Janie Tsao – founders of Linksys who created the first consumer class router
• Team: Hedy Lamarr and George Antheil – inventors of spread spectrum and frequency hopping techniques
The new class of inductees was selected on February 19 in New York City by a panel of media and industry professionals, who judged the nominations submitted by manufacturers, retailers, and media.
For the first time, the CE Hall of Fame dinner will move to New York City. The 12 new honorees will be inducted into the CE Hall of Fame at an awards dinner to be held at the Grand Hyatt Hotel on Monday, November 10.