Meridian Audio has launched new developments in Digital Active Loudspeakers with the introduction of its new flagship loudspeaker, the DSP8000 XE. The DSP8000 XE is the first Meridian loudspeaker to emerge from the company’s Extreme Engineering Program, which commenced more than six years ago. Informed by psychoacoustics and engineered by experts, the Extreme Engineering Program was created to re-imagine every element of Meridian’s product platforms, including both software and hardware.
A major advance, borne from Meridian’s significant investment in this program, is a new design concept known as ‘Precision Sonic Transport’ (PST). PST adopts innovative techniques and new processes to ensure that every aspect of the audio signal journey through the loudspeaker maintains maximum sonic fidelity, according to Meridian. DSP8000 XE is the first of Meridian’s products to benefit from the enhancements enabled by PST, with further new product developments to be announced.
Key Features of DSP8000 XE
The DSP8000 XE is built on a brand-new audio architecture, using higher specification, more powerful components, and leveraging Meridian’s expertise in psychoacoustics to achieve high exceptional sound quality.
Atlas Software Core: An all-new, future facing audio processing and control platform. Host to Meridian’s most powerful DSP engine to date, Atlas Software Core enables the implementation of new enhancement technologies and features. It also allows even more performance to be extracted and delivered from Meridian’s existing proprietary audio technologies.
R1 Electronics Platform: The essential hardware infrastructure that deploys the Precision Sonic Transport design concept in DSP8000 XE. It features all-new, highly specified digital and analog circuitry and signal enhancing developments, including:
- Command Board: State-of-the-art processing center, dedicated to the DSP processing engine and controlling the functionality of the speaker.
- Sync-Link: Transporting precision re-clocked digital audio via shielded RJ45 links from the Command Board directly to the new DAC boards.
- All new DACs and Amplifiers: Separate dedicated higher performance DAC boards and more powerful, application-specific amplifier boards are hard-wired via extremely short balanced audio connections to minimize any signal interference.
Next Generation Drive Units: Introduced throughout to push performance levels to new heights.
Subsonic Bass Driver: Six all-new 200mm long-throw (24mm excursion) bass drivers in a ‘force balanced’ configuration to give maximum bass extension with total clarity and control.
Evo Mid-Range Driver: A 160mm long-throw drive unit, newly developed non-conductive voice coil former and large motor system to deliver detail and clarity combined with power and dynamics.
Ultrasonic Tweeter: A 25mm Beryllium dome and silver voice-coil featuring a new custom steel waveguide that enables pinpoint imaging and wide dispersion for total spatial immersion.
Cabinet and Mechanics: Modernized aesthetics and re-engineered cabinet accommodate mechanical performance enhancements with updated driver clamp-ring system, flush-fitting acoustically transparent metal grilles, and mass-loading aluminum base plate.
Connectivity and Control: DSP8000 XE offers significant new connectivity and control features. These include set up and control via the new Meridian B-Link Bluetooth device, IR, USB, RS232, or with a Meridian Controller product. Each loudspeaker also includes the optional IA21 analog input module that enables users to connect and control the DSP8000 XE via their preferred third-party analog pre-amplifier or processor, if they wish.
- Frequency Response: In-room within 3 dB: 18 Hz – 40 kHz
- SPL: 120 [email protected] for a single loudspeaker
- Amplifiers: Tweeter and Mid-range – each >150W into 4 ohms, Class AB, Bass – six bridged pairs, each pair >240W into 4 ohms, Class D
- Tweeter: 1 x Ultrasonic tweeter, 25mm Beryllium dome with custom waveguide
- Mid-Range Driver: 1 x Evo mid-range, bespoke 160mm with clear cone
- Bass Drivers: 6 x Subsonic bass drivers, 200mm with long-throw, polypropylene cone
Orders for the DSP8000 XE are being taken now, the standard finish is piano black. Select color options are available. Start of production for DSP8000 XE is March 2022. MRSP $125,000 (USA).
For more details, visit https://www.meridian-audio.com/XE.