PS Audio has introduced its aspen FR10 loudspeaker, a slim, 3-way, floorstanding tower that brings the sound quality and driver design of the aspen Series to a wider range of listening environments, systems, and budgets.
The new FR10 (SRP: $9999 per pair, available now) features PS Audio’s push-pull planar magnetic midrange and high-frequency driver technologies, complemented by ultra-low-distortion, linear-magnet woofers, high-excursion passive radiators, and a host of additional refinements. Like all the models in the aspen series, the FR10 has a sleek, refined appearance.
All the drivers in the FR10 are custom-designed from the ground up. The 8-inch planar ribbon midrange and 2.5-inch planar ribbon tweeter employ a push-pull design with an identical symmetrical motor structure on either side of their driver diaphragms. This inherently linear configuration provides lower distortion than conventional single-sided magnet structures, along with higher efficiency.
The midrange and high-frequency drivers employ high-strength magnets and diaphragms made from Teonex film, a thin, highly stable material that provides exceptional transient response and resolution, with a fast, clean decay. The drivers are housed in a sealed sub-enclosure to ensure maximum clarity and freedom from internal cabinet colorations.
The PS Audio aspen FR10 utilizes dual 6.5-inch cast-frame woofers with a non-woven carbon fiber PMI foam sandwich cone for an articulate response that complements the speed and transparency of the planar-magnetic midrange and high-frequency drivers. The woofers utilize a split magnetic gap with dual-copper shorting rings, and have a large 3/4-inch peak-to-peak linear excursion for low distortion and a dynamically responsive bass output. The woofers are augmented by three flat-piston carbon fiber passive radiators. The FR10 offers wide range frequency response from 32 Hz–20 kHz (-6 dB, half-space; 25 Hz–6 dB in-room).
The FR10’s slim enclosure measures 41.5 inches high by 8 inches wide (11.75 inches wide with its stand) by 16.25 inches deep. It’s available in a new matte finish in either black or white, and comes with magnetically detachable grilles. The FR10 comes with a setup booklet and CD to get the most out of the speaker. The FR10 has a visually distinctive “floating” appearance, with a curved bottom and an anodized aluminum base that is supplied with mounting feet that can be used with either removable stainless-steel spikes, or a soft rubber foot underneath.
aspen FR10 Features at a Glance:
- Enclosure type: sealed upper midrange/tweeter module and lower cabinet for the woofers and passive radiators
- High-frequency transducer: 2.5-inch planar magnetic ribbon tweeter with Teonex diaphragm
- Mid-frequency transducer: 8-inch planar magnetic ribbon midrange with Teonex diaphragm
- Passive radiator: three 6- x 9-inch flat-piston carbon fiber
- Woofer: dual 6.5-inch cast-frame, non-woven carbon fiber PMI foam sandwich cone
- Thermoset resin fiberglass-composite woofer baffle
- Magnetically attached grille
- Computer-optimized custom crossover with premium film capacitors and air-core inductors
- Polished stainless-steel spikes with soft rubber feet enable a variety of mounting options
- Frequency Response: 32 Hz–20 kHz (-6 dB, half-space; 25 Hz–6 dB in-room)
- Crossover Frequency: 550 Hz, 1,750 Hz
- Sensitivity: 86.5 dB
- Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms (3.3 ohms minimum)
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 50–125 watts
- Dimensions: 41.5 x 11.75 x 16.25 inches with base
- Weight: 75 lbs. (34.1 kg)
For more information, visit www.psaudio.com.