URC has announced the launch of its latest gaming-inspired handheld user interface. The company is launching the new TDC-5100 with gaming-inspired design, hard and digital buttons, and fast processing.
This premium handheld controller presents a streamlined design with both a touchscreen and hard buttons for optimal hand feel and functionality. The TDC-5100’s hard buttons deliver the convenience of control without having to look at the screen. When separated from the charging base, the keypad features back-side finger grips to complete a perfect fit. The vibrant 5-inch color LCD screen delivers high-resolution graphics and ease of use. With enhanced processing speed, the TDC-5100 enables quick response to simple one-touch or voice commands, and the built-in mic and speaker communicate seamlessly via Amazon Alexa, Comcast Xfinity, or Apple TV. Proximity, ambient light, and pickup sensors wake the device to help ensure a premium user experience. Compatible with all current URC Total Control integrations, the TDC-5100 can control an entire residential or commercial URC system.
According to recent data, URC’s research confirms that consumers continue to prefer alternative control devices, such as the TDC-5100, to the continued complexity and heavy usage of smart phones and related apps. Concerns over wellness are forcing consumers to rethink their device choices.
- The average person spends 3 hours and 15 minutes on their phone each day.
- 1-in-5 smartphone users spends upwards of 4.5 hours on average on their phones each day.
- Weekdays average more smart phone use than weekends.
- Individuals check their phones an average of 58 times each day.
(Source: Howarth, John, January 9, 2023, ‘Time Spent Using Smartphones,’ Exploding Topics, https://explodingtopics.com/blog/smartphone-usage-stats)
- 47% consider themselves addicted to their smart phones.
(Source: Wheelwright, Trevor, January 24, 2022, ‘2022 Cell Phone Usage Statistics: How Obsessed Are We?,’ Reviews.org, https://www.reviews.org/mobile/cell-phone-addiction/)
With the end user and dealers in mind, URC’s TDC-5100 offers:
- Inspired Design: Products built on research that deliver sleek design, easy operation, right-sized touchscreen and physical keys, comfortable grip for convenient hand fit, and thin profile to naturally fit your hands.
- Advanced User Experience: Voice control and simple, one-touch operation allow the user to engage via vibrant screen and X-Large icons with extensive customization options.
- Ease of Use: Users of all ages will enjoy hard buttons with the most common functions (like volume and channel controls) and convenient touchscreen icons for the remaining commands. The hard buttons and touchscreen stay active when in the convenient charging base.
- Power of Voice Control: When awake, the built-in mic and speaker allow users to communicate seamlessly using voice commands via Amazon Alexa, Comcast Xfinity, or Apple TV. When on charging base, the TDC-5100, like most of URC interfaces, remains awake allowing voice control for integrations like soon to be released certified Ring integration. This feature can be programmed to set the interface to sleep, if preferred.
- Single-Device Solution: While users can access URC’s Total Control app, they can use the TDC-5100 or any of URC’s interfaces as a single-use device to control their systems.
- No-Look Operation: Hard buttons allow the user to operate without the need to look at the remote, then screen…then remote…repeat…repeat…repeat.
- Complete, Easy-to-Program Dealer Solutions: Easy installation with 2.4 and 5 GHz Quick Connect Wi-Fi and fast programming using URC Accelerator operating system.
Tucker Hass, Founder of Ranger Home Technologies LLC http://www.rangerhome.com/, shared his feedback following alpha and beta testing phases. “This is my favorite handheld! The hard buttons are perfectly sized and often preferred by end users. The button layout is intuitive and similar to my prior favorite URC remotes. I know the six extra-large icons on the touchscreen GUI will be a customer favorite. It’s a winner!”
Joe Tooley, CEO of Audio Perfection, Inc. https://www.audioperfectioninc.com/ stated: “URC’s new TDC-5100 combines the best of both worlds. It combines a ‘right-sized’ touch screen with hard buttons for the most used functions like volume and channel control. It allows the viewer to keep eyes on the TV screen, not the interface. This will be a hit with customers and represents a sweet spot in URC’s portfolio.”
Ryan Yeackley, Project Engineer with Diode Technologies and industry veteran, stated: “URC continues leading-edge product innovation with the launch of the TDC-5100. This new interface is the perfect size, weight, and quality for commercial or residential use. The combination of touchscreen and hard buttons doesn’t require a glance at your streaming content. It’s so intuitive to use. With an extensive library of integrations, the TDC-5100 is a homerun.”
For more information, visit www.urc-automation.com.