Ontario, Candada -- Ultra-slim flat-panel television displays finally have met their sonic and aesthetic match, as Paradigm Electronics launches its first-ever partly in-wall and partly out-of-the-wall speaker designs.
The new Reference Hybrid Millenia 10 and 20 integrate reference-quality build materials into a form factor that protrudes less than an inch and a half from the wall.
Conventional on-wall speakers jut out four to five inches, dwarfing the depth of most wall-mounted flat-panel displays. Although great sound is paramount, floor space and visual appeal (or discretion) are important secondary factors in the purchase of speakers. Paradigm's new models are slim enough to visually complement ever-slimming flat panels for years to come, even with the grills on. By partially recessing a Millenia Hybrid into the wall, the speaker gains a deeper, more stable enclosure with inherent performance advantages over traditional on-wall mounting techniques.
Each Paradigm hybrid speaker is engineered to incorporate the predictable effects of a wall on the speaker's frequency response. The speaker's pre-attached glass-reinforced injection-molded polymer (GRIP) bracket is optimized to exploit maximum wall area for a complete absence of vibration, even when performing at maximum output.
Like all Paradigm Reference Millenia speakers, the Hybrids' high-frequency drivers are designed to exhibit timbral clarity and transparency comparable to the very best electrostatic or ribbon designs. Midrange drivers are designed for accurate, lifelike, and critically revealing performance with extraordinary detail. Bass response, free of cone standing waves and micro distortions and reinforced by the wall, are designed for exceptional articulation.
Hybrid Millenia 20s and 10s, designed for two-channel or multi-channel configurations, can be mounted horizontally or vertically. Their three-step installation process is made easier by the mounting templates that securely cradle each speaker. Once the template is in, the speaker is wired and adjusted to cover the cutout. Tighten four screws to hold the speaker in place, and installation is complete.
Reference Hybrid Millenia 10
- Three-driver, two-way acoustic suspension, hybrid in-wall
- Max input power: 90 watts
- Cutout Dimensions (hxw): 14 11/16 x 5 1/8
- Weight: 9.1 lbs. per speaker
- MSRP: $379
- Hybrid Reference Hybrid Millenia 20
- Five-driver, 2.5-way acoustic suspension hybrid in-wall
- Max input power: 110 watts
- Cutout Dimensions (hxw): 23 1/2 x 5 1/8
- Weight: 13 lbs. per speaker
- MSRP: $529
- High-Frequency Drive Units
- S-PAL Satin Anodized Pure-Aluminum Domes
- Rigid High-pressure Die-cast Aluminum Chassis
- Critical Coupling of Phase-Alignment Bridge and Elevated Dome
- Computer-Optimized Magnets and Advanced Motor Structures
Midrange/Bass Drive Units
- MLP Mica-Loaded Polymer Midrange and Bass/Midrange Cones
- HTD Heat Transfer and Dissipation System - Proprietary Design
- Solid Aluminum Phase Plugs
- Over-designed Nitrile-Butadiene Rubber (NBR) Surrounds and Nomex Spiders
- Precision-Engineered Mineral-Filled Polypropylene Bass Cones
- Advanced Magnet Assemblies with Symmetrical Focused Field Geometry